USW GAMES ENTERPRISE MASTER CHEY WEBB WEEK %
So I moved last weekend, busy busy busy as always. But it’s time to check in with you all!
I can’t believe the internship is already almost over! It feels like it’s been no time at all. As part of the internship they asked us to present at one of the sprint review meetings, and just talk about how the process has been. So we started the week with planning for that.
In sprint review everyone has to show what they’ve been up to, so we started off in a planning session with the design team. It was a really chill start to the morning to be honest. We got to have a little relaxed chat while we all worked on our own slides for the presentation. It was nice!
The presentation itself was pretty standard and easy. I’m used to public speaking since they drill it into you in undergrad. It isn’t too formal of an atmosphere either, it’s chill. So I just spoke honestly about what the experience was like, like I do here, and about what I felt I’ve learned. I think everyone was a bit shocked to hear that I felt they’d given us lots of good advice. Which in itself is kinda lovely, it’s very much the adult feeling of knowing everyone is just winging it half the time.
During the week we had the regular bug triage session, plus we got to sit in on the sprint planning session where everyone locks down what they’re doing for the next two weeks. It was pretty business as usual! Sometimes there’s not a hell of a lot to talk about y’know. I guess I’ve been a bit surprised about how much of the work is sitting in meetings. I know everyone else has more than we do, but from my own experience I know how important it is to keep everyone on track and on the same page. Plus Fictioneers has so many different departments despite it being a relatively small operation. It must take a lot to keep them so organised!
A bit ago we were given the task of testing out a specific function in the app, as well as testing for how much it drained our batteries. I’ve been testing out these AR bits a lot over the last couple of weeks, (though it’s been a little tricky dodging moving boxes) and making notes for myself of problems that seem to pop up. I decided I would make a formal report with my testing findings. Since there were specific things to test for it made sense to me to format it a bit better than just saying them when they pop up. Plus if I’m making notes as I go I can follow them up later with more testing. For example I had an issue with one part where the order in which you did things really messed it up. So I was able to go back in and test every permutation and combination to pinpoint what exactly was making it mess up. It’s a bit like solving a mystery! You have to look at all the angles to try to figure it out. It was nice to use stuff I’d learned in class while working on it. So I was able to produce a fairly thorough report on my findings! I was really happy that it went down well with the team! Owen put it all into the system too, so it was really nice to see my stuff pop up during bug triage.